I have decided to focus my research on one type of cut, and of all the many different cuts available in cinema my favorite has to be the ‘J’ and ‘L’ cut, but why is this?
Listen to my audio log to hear my thoughts on what makes this type of cut appeal to me so much and what I plan to explore in during my research into this editing technique.
- J and L cuts have always impressed me more than any other cut
- I prefer longer uses of this cut
- The idea of “getting a taste of what’s coming” before the cut is over appeals to me
- I want to explore the origins of this cut
- I am going to research how it’s being used today
- Is it being used more or less? and why could this be?
- What makes these cuts work?
- What makes them not work?
- I want to be able to say critically what the purpose of a cut like this is
Here are a few examples of J and L cuts in short film:
- Handmade Portraits: Liberty Vintage Motorcycles
2. Waltz for One